Who may join the union?
Any person (educator or other employee) employed in a public or private education institution in the education sector.
What is the membership fee?
The fee is R106.10 per member per month (2020). The NAPTOSA National Council will review the fee on an annual basis.
What can a new member expect to receive from the union once he/she has been registered?
New members will receive a letter of welcome, a diary (if available), a brochure containing information regarding the functioning of the union and copies of the latest communications with members.
To which services will a member be entitled?
- Professional advice on, and assistance with, matters pertaining to conditions of service
- Professional advice on, and assistance with, legal and labour matters (grievances, disputes and disciplinary procedures)
- Regular communication from the national and provincial office on, for example, conditions of service, legislation and the latest developments in the education sector
- Commercial benefits (NAPTOSA members ONLY), which qualifies you for discounts at various shopping outlets.
- Professional development (e.g. courses, seminars and conferences).
The union has a head office in Pretoria and provincial offices in all the provinces (except Limpopo) where professional office staff will be responsible for rendering the above services to members.Members in Limpopo will be serviced by the Gauteng office.Some provinces also operate satellite offices.
May a member retain links with the union after he/she has retired or resigned from the education sector?
Yes. Although not entitled to be a full member, such a person may be admitted, on application, as an Associate of the union. An Associate will pay an annual fee as determined by the NAPTOSA Executive Committee. He/she will receive the publications of the union as well as other benefits, as determined by the National Executive Committee.
May students join the union?
Yes, as Associates (see paragraph above) and provided they are education-faculty students.